Friday, May 16, 2008

A Late Start

I should be harvesting my spinach and lettuce and sugar snap peas now. There should be fresh radishes and beets from my own soil in my salad. I know this because when I go to the farmers market on Saturday mornings, those vegetables are waiting on the farmers tables for me. In the time that some grew the lettuces, and spinaches, and sugar snap peas I see, I managed to kill 2 trays of seedlings, and still nothing is growing in my garden. Sad…very, very sad. But not too late.
For Mother’s Day this year, during a weekend that I had to work, I got a very special gift. I got several hours of garden labor from my husband to get some of the beds ready for planting. We pulled up the weeds, moved all the dirt out of the smaller, square box into one of the larger, rectangular boxes, and filled the square box with Mel’s mix. Two boxes ready for planting!!
Then it started to rain!! And it rained and rained and rained. This is now the 5th rainiest May ever, and the first rainiest May in my lifetime. I had to wait for the rain to stop, but now, planted in at least one bed is lettuce, spinach, radishes, beets, carrots, kale and swiss chard. And, in the larger bed, sugar snap peas. I even got some cilantro started indoors. Hopefully, it is not going to prove to be too late.

The neglect certainly hasn’t hurt the thyme, it is bigger than ever. I suspect soon it will take over the entire box. Too bad the other kind of time isn't this easy to come by!
And the mint and the sage battle on…I always wonder who is going to win.

And so, the garden is finally started. And during this very busy month, during the peak stress times, the old man - below - and I walk out to the garden daily and wait for it to begin!














1 comment:

Linda said...

My patience was rewarded - another lovely blog. Love the picture of the old man!