Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Progress

Amazingly, it is July already.  This is coming into the time where I begin to lose control of the garden.  It's usually very hot and humid so I am less likely to go out to spend much time weeding.  And, of course, Oracle business picks up, trips begin to happen, life in general begins to happen.

This year, I am looking pretty good so far.

Herbs

I went away for a 3 day trip the end of June - expecting the worst when I got back - but things were doing really well.  The cucumbers and zucchini had really taken off, but were staying somewhat contained.  Not much need to weed in that box now, about all that can survive is the cukes and zukes!

Cukes and Zukes
 Notice the ground around the boxes is relatively weed free. This is where the real progress is evident.  The garden is still pretty neat and tidy, only things growing that I want to grow.  The secret has been vinegar, believe it or not.  I found on the internet - keeper of all the knowledge, true and untrue - that spraying weeds with a mixture of white vinegar and salt, with a little dish soap to make it stick will kill the weeds.  And it is more natural and cheaper than Roundup.

I even have about a dozen of these cute little tiny cucumbers starting.  I am expecting quite a lot of cucumbers and have been stalking Pinterest for recipes for salads and pickles.  I expect to be visiting family bearing gifts!!!
Baby cucumbers
 I also have some tiny beans starting.  I only have 3 bean bushes so I really don't think I will get very many, maybe just enough for a meal of 2.


Baby beans


This looks like an interesting battle shaping up:  the mint verses the spaghetti squash. Either way, I think I win.

Mint vs. squash

When I planted the spaghetti squash, I expected it to climb the back fence, which it has, a little.  But mostly, it began to escape out into the garden and the yard.  It has been going crazy.  So this week, Bill helped me put of a fence for it to climb on, just to contain it a bit.


Squash fence

Seems that the plant likes the fence because shortly after that, it began blooming.


No comments: